On Being A Stylist / Dresser

by - 6:40:00 PM

Heyyyy. Here's a short lazy-post because I'm (not lazy but) tired. I ran errands the whole day but I still decided to write. Hope you enjoy this post!


Two days into my summer break and I got myself into something I don't even know. My sister just asked me the night before "Ate, wanna come help me dress models? My friend is looking for people who want to help. Free food!"..... So you know me, she had at "free food". The next morning we went to Glorietta for apparently.... a fashion show.

I was pretty overwhelmed with what had to be done, what was going on and probably everything else in between. Our call time was at 10am but the fashion show started at 4pm. If you think fashion shows are easy to organize, you thought wrong!

The event finished around 9pm. Here are some of the things that we did as a dresser / stylist along with what happened behind the fashion show and some realizations:

  • To be able to be in the fashion industry, you have to know brands. AND I MEAN BRANDS. Know how to pronounce their names right and youuu know, acknowledge the designers and their branding.
  • We were assigned 1-2 models each. I was assigned 2....... what we did was we had to take note of which brands they were going to wear and get their outfits from the closets (filled with more branded outfits oh la la). We had to create their own "rack" and arranged it according to the sequence of brands. It was fun and challenging, okay.
  • Models get to wear expensive and pretty clothes but they don't get to keep them. LIKE OMG. I wanted to be a model when I was a kid because I thought they get to keep the clothes the wore..... It does happens sometimes buuuuuut rarely according to my friend. 
  • For shoes not to get dirty, we had to put masking tape on the sole. It had to be perfect so when the camera zooms in, the tape wont be seen 
  • Steaming gusot clothes is a must :p
  • THE FEMALE MODELS WERE SO PRETTY!!
  • Bring extra safety pins and hair pins. 
  • The female models were also soooooooo very nice. Yes, they are human too. They talk to you and sometimes as a dresser, they don't want help from me/us. I don't know if their shy and all but they were really kind.
  • The only thing the female models had to bring was their heels. They usually come in 5-6 inches high and in nude or black. :) 
  • WE ALSO GOT TO DRESS THE MALE MODELS FOR MEN'S WEEK........ I admit it was so hard not to be awkward, they were wearing / walking around in briefs okay. HAHAHUHU
  • Never leave your rack. It's all a fast process.... once your model is done walking on the ramp, she/he comes back to have their outfit changed. Be alert and prepared!
  • Enjoy! Even if you can't see what's happening in front, it's also as fun backstage. :)

Sooooo there you have it, friends - a Mely in her unusual habitat... and she had fun! I also made friends with other dressers / stylists. It's funny how I suddenly want to be part of too of fancy shmancy fashion events like this..... not my forte but it was a good experience. Hopefully, this won't be my last gig. 

At the end of the day, once the fashion show finishes (last model walks that ramp and comes back), everyone starts clapping backstage. You're feeling really tired but happy and fulfilled. It was a great team effort. 

I really had fun! How about you? Have you ever been a stylist or dresser? How about model? Tell me your fashown stories. I wanna know! :) :)


    You May Also Like

    22 NOTES

    1. AHAHA about the male models :)) That was so fun, Mely!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Omg. But it was really so awkward hahahahah. Thank you Mariel! <3

        Delete
    2. Nice experience, dear. Thanks for sharing! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Looks like you enjoyed interacting with the models and also styling them. It's nice that they are a friendly bunch too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes! It was very unexpected but it was fun. :)

        Delete
    4. Have you ever been a stylist or dresser? - nah! I don't even know how to dress fashionably. I've never been to any fashion show so I can't relate much but reading your story, it looks fun especially having to check out those designer clothes and pretty models too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes! The designer clothes were sooooo awesome. Haha!

        Delete
    5. I have been a part-time model when I was young but as time passed by, I am quite passionate blogging. This is one of the reasons I turned to be a style blogger. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ohhh, no wonder! Haha! Actually after this event, I also am thinking of diving into fashion blogging. It was such a fun experience. :)

        Delete
    6. I can only imagine how panic mode...but I'm sure you enjoyed a lot.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hahaha! Yes Sir Jojo. I'm new to this, but I really enjoyed.

        Delete
    7. Scary but enjoyable. It's always like that. But, I'm sure you had a great experience.

      Keep the awesome work :-)

      ReplyDelete
    8. That was fun! Can I volunteer too? Haha.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yesss! Haha. If you're serious, next time! Just let me know :)

        Delete
    9. wow thanks for sharing the 'behind the scenes'. Oh that male models, soo awkward, lol.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hahaha it was! I'm a little shy around guys :( :))

        Delete
    10. Nope. I'm very fashion-challenged..LOL!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha! Talaga? It's not obvious Mommy Peachy :)

        Delete
    11. I can imagine how fun this experience must be for you.

      ReplyDelete