A Fresh Start

by - 5:28:00 PM


(MY FIRST POST FOR 2016 HORAAAAH) The year 2015, to say the least, was a blast. It had its ups and downs - but it was still a good year. Don't I always say this at the end of every year? Kidding aside, I'm just glad I've learned to be more accepting of any given circumstance (well I think). Cliche as it may sound, things happen for a reason and it's true.


"New Year, New Me" - I hate that line. It's a new year but you're still the same person - but only with another chance to be better (if that is what you want, of course). Kidding again, I have a lot to be thankful for the past year as I dream a lot for 2016.

While people have gone away with new year resolutions, I still like to give it a go in a different way. There's nothing wrong with planning things you'd like to do and it actually helps me stay motivated.

To see if I will be able accomplish my list... you have to wait another 364 days! Haha. I'm still thinking about it but if I do have the time, I'll try updating this list by crossing out those I've already finished.

Sounds exciting? Haha! Let's just hope I can keep up. It's a short list but it's not that easy to do. Before I go on rambling about anything else, here's my to-do list 2016!

1. Go on a vacation / staycation with my family.  To be honest, we've only been around the Philippines and some provinces or hotels. We've never been together outside the country for reasons like work and conflicting school schedules (grade school, high school and college). For a family of seven, you can imagine our schedules being so crazy - we sometimes don't see each other at home! We even laugh at being complete "for the first time in forever"(aka weekends). But in all seriousness, I'd love to travel with this crazy bunch. Where to? Anywhere would be fine. I'm with the people I love, after all.

2. Sleep and wake up early, make most of my days. I can't remember the last time I slept early and this is bad. People often fail to realize the importance of sleep until they get sick - yes, I am one of those people. So this year, I've finally given myself a bedtime. This would be a great help in managing my time and my health.

3. Clean more often than once a month / semester. I'm not the most organized person you'll ever meet. I'm messy too especially with my closet but let's not go there! Yikes. Haha. This year, I made it a goal to clean my room without my mom reminding me too. If I can finally clean my space, I know everything's going to be organized.

4. Volunteer, organize outreach programs and donate blood. Be more selfless in general. I really want to volunteer. I've joined this Facebook group who organizes outreach programs but I never have made an effort to go. This year, I want to give back. I want to help and I want to make others happy. I love that kind of happiness - making others happy. Also, I'd like finally face my fear and donate blood.

5. Chase adventure. Among me and my sisters, I have to be the most boring one. I love staying in, reading, writing and watching movies but I also love the beach, walks, sunsets and spontaneous trips (which I don't often get to do)- see the conflict? It was only the last quarter of 2015 that I went out more than the usual. I went around but not far enough. I want more adventure time. *queue in adventure's times theme song*

6. Forget about losing weight. Eat more fruits and vegetables, drink more water and exercise more often. Losing weight is a favorite new years resolution but scratch "losing weight" and eat more fruits and vegetables. Drink more water and exercise more often! Exercising doesn't have to be in the gym (although I do like it in the gym). As an ex-athlete, I crave to do more physical activities - oh and please, let this be the year that I finally get to do them.

7. Wake up to the morning news. This has to be the most random item on the list but I couldn't think of anything else. I'm aging and it's about time I become more conscious. Waking up to the morning news doesn't mean literally waking up and watching the news before brushing my teeth but it simply means to be more aware of the world around me. When I become aware, I can finally understand it. (Also, it makes you sound a little more smarter ;))

8. Work on graduation. Praying that this will be a year from now (2017), as early as this year, I will work on my graduation. I just don't want to ace my subjects but I want (and have :p) to bring lessons with me until graduation, until I work. Although that would be easy because I'm finally in the course I love. I will work on that sablay by studying hard and staying focused. My main motivation? My parents and Oma, my grandmother.

9. Toughen up. Aside from being accepting of what life has to give, I have to toughen up. I won't be a cry baby anymore............. no promises but I will try. :p

10. Love more. This year, I will do more of the things I love. Some of these things include sewing and working on the business. Last year, I remember telling myself I could always do this some other time but never got to do any of them. I want to paint, sing, sew clothes, work on the business, earn extra (of course to spoil the people around me). I want to go get that film camera I've always dreamed of and learn film photography. Other than that, I also want to help other people achieve their dreams (which I only thought of now after reading David Guison's latest blog post). With all this in mind, I know 2016 is gonna be one great year.

              Sunnies: Rayban | Top: True Clothing | Bag: Kenneth Cole | Jeans: Woman | Shoes: Rubi Shoes
                                                                                                     Photos by Mela Sison
It was hard trimming down the list to 10 things but I'm pretty sure I've got everything covered. Sorry for the lengthy post though. How about you? What are your new year resolutions? Or what are your plans, goals and dreams for 2016? I wanna hear all about it. ☺︎

You May Also Like

34 NOTES

  1. Super cool post dear.
    I wish you an amazing year,
    Emma
    www.emmalovesfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank youuuu! I wish you the same. :) Thanks for stopping by <3

      Delete
  2. Eating healthier is much better than losing weight in my opinion! Have a great year dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you reach your goals this year!
    Every morning I wake up at 6am and say I'm going to bed early... But in still up at midnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Sleeping early is hard but it will do us good. Thank you! <3

      Delete
  4. Melissa, I wish you all the best in accomplishing your goals for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you :) I wish you the same. Let's make 2016 a memorable one!

      Delete
  5. Nice list! Some of them are on my list too. Good luck in achieving those! God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, nice! Good luck to you too. Happy 2016! :)

      Delete
  6. Resolutions are always a great way to start the year! Cheers to a fresh start! Wishing you an awesome 2016! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let's hope we can end with them too. Haha. Happy 2016! :)

      Delete
  7. Loved your your to do list!
    2016 gonna be pretty awesome 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also want to go out of the country with my family, most of the time I go out of the country with friends and classmates. I volunteer in U! Happy Events, you can search them in google. I'll also update you if we have blood drive here in Philippine General Hospital if you wanna donate blood. And sleeping early!, wont work for me (med school will not permit me). God bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hehe. God bless your med school journey. :)

      Delete
  9. We have almost the same goals for 2016 :) Let's achieve them! Aja! Hehe. Btw, I really love your photos!

    ❤️ Louise | www.louisechelleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let us. Haha. Thanks Louise! It means a lot coming from you. :)

      Delete
  10. Hope you'll achieve all your goals this year. And even add up more! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 2016! These are great things to aim for this year. You're right, staying fit and healthy comes first. Losing weight just follows. But in your photos, I don't think you need to lose weight. You look fit to me.

    Enjoy your year! May it be epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's because I was so conscious before but now I realize that shouldn't be the case. I should just eat healthier. Thank you and happy 2016 to you too! Let's make it a memorable one :)

      Delete
  12. Good luck on all your to do list, like you i started waking up early, i am waking up now at 5 am , and started doing meditation , reading books, making my affirmations and other personal development stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I hope I could do the same. Waking and sleeping early is still a struggle. Haha. Good luck w/ your personal goals as well! :)

      Delete
  13. As for me, I do not write down New Year's resolution but I do have short and long-term goals. :) Good luck on your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I heard some people do the same. Thank you and happy 2016 to you! :)

      Delete
  14. Woohooo! Will follow your list as you achiebe each of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no more pressure! Hahaha just kidding. Thank you Jessica!! <3

      Delete
  15. Wow, that's great. Nice idea. Keep writing. Will check updates. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the number 1 on ur list! More travels! I love the way you write. I love ut style. Its awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list Melissa! Hope you're making these happen <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. I hope you get to reach your goals too this year :)

      Delete