5 Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water

by - 10:53:00 PM

And since I am catching up on my posts for this month, here is another post I hope you enjoy. 

My mom always makes us (me and my siblings) drink water... with lemons. I loved it. It tastes good and I feel healthy though I never understood the reason behind it. I mean why do we put lemons in our water? Thus, being the computer junkie that I am (YET AGAIN), I did googled researched about it. I wasn't surprised that there were a lot of benefits. You can refer to the sources below if you want to read more about it but for now, here are the top 5 common benefits of drinking lemon water. And if you never tried it, I do hope I can change your mind and you can start feeling healthy. So yeah, enjoy!








Supports the immune system
Did you know that lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is great for fighting colds and flu while potassium stimulates the brain & nerves to function. It also helps control blood pressure. Nutritionist Hedge says lemon also enhances the body’s ability to absorb iron, an important nutrient for a healthy immune system. Other than that, it is also a great source of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. You can drink a lot of lemon water to cure a common cold. 

Freshens your breath
I bet you didn't know that did you? This has got to be one of my favourite benefits. According to my research, the antiseptic qualities in lemon juice help kill off bad bacteria in the mouth by acting as a disinfectant. It is also healthier and is said to keep you more awake than coffee (which is rumoured - I'm not sure how true- to give you bad breath). 

Helps with weight loss
Okay fine, I am also loving this benefit. Lemons have high pectin fiber, a soluble fibre commonly found in citrus fruits. It helps fight hunger cravings, making the person lose their appetite Pectin helps stave off hunger as the fibre creates a feeling of fullness. It also has been shown that the more alkaline in a person's body, the faster they lose weight. This is perfect. You don't have to spend money on all those juices that claim to help you lose weight when the only thing you lose is your appetite. I say, go for lemon water - it's natural. :) 

Clears skin
You heard me right my friend. Lemon water helps clear our skin. The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. They are great for fighting skin ageing. Its antioxidant properties help fight free radical damage, which is responsible for the symptoms of ageing. “Vitamin C is required in the synthesis of amino acids into collagen and the job of collagen and connective tissue is to hold things tight and protect our skin tissue.” Also, on a non-related note, lemon water helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems. 

Balances pH
Yes, lemons are acidic on their own but inside our bodies they're alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized). As you wellness warriors know, having a alkaline body is really the key to good health. “Lemon water is very alkalising and most of us have acidic bodies,” Chevalley Hedge says. “Educated foodies still think of lemons as being acidic when they are quite alkalising.”

Two simple ingredients packed with all the goodness, be sure to have a cup of lemon water daily. And I promise you, just like me - you will not only feel healthier but you will be healthier. Comment down below if you will start drinking lemon water. Yay! :) 


You May Also Like

0 NOTES