Cinemalaya Forum Series 2014

by - 12:14:00 AM



Yay! Aloha. Today, I attended my very first Cinemalaya forum series. This is very much different with watching the films - of course - because you get to experience the film itself. Some speakers also were involved with this year's films so they were able to share experiences, tips and their contributions in making the particular film.  It was really such a good experience.

There were also a lot of students who attended the forum - majority were students actually. Some of the topics discussed were the aesthetics of the digital image, the principal of photography, post-production and sound-design. My favourite part would have to be (surprisingly) the last module for today which is sound design. I am a big fan of music and sound effects and ever since I have been editing videos, I tend to neglect sound effects. Sure, I would put music - but after hearing the speakers presentations and experiences - I realized how important sound really is to the audience.

Although when we watch movies, we don't really notice the sounds as we are more concentrated at the talents or for some of us the cinematography or effects. But really, when you think of it - the sounds bring the movie. The sounds make sure you feel the feeling that the director wants you to feel during the movie. It's amazing. We should also give credit to our music scorers and the people in charge of the sound (sorry - not really sure what to call them.) 

(UPDATE) For today, which was today, we learned all about animation and visual effects (which I really want to learn huhu they were so amazing). Other than that, we also learned about marketing and film distribution. And to end the series, famous personalities like Ting Nebrida, Baby Ruth Villarama, Lilit Reyes, Monster Jimenez and personal favourite: Joey Reyes were there to talk about how they could see or wish the cinemalaya in another 10 years. I realized and learned so much. And even as an engineering student, someday (I said someday) I want to have my own film in cinemalaya too. And hopefully, help support the cinemalaya community.




Overall, the cinemalaya forum series was a blast. It was really such a good learning experience. I never knew there were a lot to a film than just the actress and the story. It really is such a great effort by the whole production team. (Of course, I would have known that if I was taking an arts or film course but I'm an engineering student - so best to understand to me hahaha). I also can say that after this experience I have gained a better appreciation and understanding of film and film making. And especially to those who make indie films, hats off to those people. For the love of film and Filipinos, they create films even in their own expense. As said earlier during the forum series, this was the hardest year of the cinemalaya in terms of getting funds. But hey, it happened. I heard some director's producer pulled out the last minute so the director himself had to use his own money to fund his film and that really is just wow - true sacrifice. I hope that soon, with the times changing, we can also have deeper appreciation for these indie films and the film makers. And that the government would give priority somehow. I'm not expecting the government to make this a priority but somehow - I wish we could get the government to support this. Because this is our culture. Indie films, theatre shows, anything of the arts - is Filipino culture. And sometimes, our culture is not clear to us (and I probably have so much feels related to that which I hope to make another post about soon). But yeah, for those who are aspiring film makers out there (like me hihi) and even those who don't wish to be film makers, I would still highly recommend the cinemalaya forum series! You can really learn a lot and I'm sure you'll enjoy and have a deeper appreciation for films and film making. Sulit na sulit yung 300 (student discount). And I hope to be back next year to learn more. :) Any thoughts? How was your cinemalaya / cinemalaya forum series experience? Leave me a comment below!

You May Also Like

0 NOTES