WHY REJECTION IS GOOD FOR YOUR SOUL

by - 7:03:00 PM


I have never told anyone this story. For reasons that I never believed that rejections were good until this year, 2016. In fact, I used to hate rejections........... they often made me feel small and useless as  if I wasn't meant for anything great. Yes friends, I've been there. But so much has changed this year. When I think of it, all those rejections were preparing me for something great so allow me to share why rejection is good for your soul, from the way I see it. 


PIIE - NSC EB

Back when I was still an engineering student, I remember being a part of the PIIE NSC core team (Philippine Institute of Industrial Engineers - National Student Chapter). I believe I was doing so well that I wanted to run for an executive board position. However, there were three of us (my orgmates and I) who wanted to run for three different positions. It was all good until the rules stated only two candidates were allowed per school. One of them, was already sure to run since he started out earlier than most of us, the question now was between me and my other friend - who was going to run? But I saw how she wanted it so bad, told how she wanted it so bad, and even if I also wanted it bad, I let go of the opportunity. People told me it wasn't fair on my part and my friend never asked me if I wanted it too - I'm happy I stepped back and let it go for her.

NEW YORK DREAMS

A year passed has by when a blogging opportunity presented itself. It was going to send me to New York City only just to blog. BUT THERE WAS ONE PROBLEM - it was too soon. Having to go meant dropping school for a semester and this was the time I just shifted, I just started enjoying what I was doing and so it didnt make sense. I felt like the TIMING was wrong........ and although I never asked, I didn't want to ask my parents for funds or resources to go to NYC all for this hobby of mine. I felt like the universe just wanted to play with my feelings..... "let me give you this opportunity you are sure not to take." Again, with the rejection.  

NOT-SO-SWEET CANDY GIRL

Recently last year, I got an email for an interview with Summit Media, specifically for Candy Magazine. And who knows who much I loved Candy, it was almost a dream come true! After the interview at their office, I was told off that we had meetings during weekdays and since I get off at 5:30pm and I studied in Los Banos, it would be so much harder for me. I coudn't do the whole commute from school to the office thing. The fact that they were concerned about it, I knew where this conversation was getting me.......... I was about to be rejected. A few weeks after, I was right.

***

I dont want to get into the nitty gritty of the details but that was it! A rejection for every year. HAHA imagine how bad I felt........ the feeling that I wasn't meant to do anything great. However, I STILL REMAINED POSITIVE DESPITE IT ALL. I carried on with life, ultimately forgetting it. I continued my pursuit of writing and blogging and I shifted to DEVELOPMENT COMMUNICATION (that's the dream!) I also joined AIESEC here in UPLB the same year I was going to run for EB in PIIE NSC. 

Which all brings me to this turning point in my life: I went on exchange to Greece! But I didn't just go on exchange (because trust me, going on exchange alone will change your life), I was chosen as one of the Global Citizen Fund volunteers across the world. Out of 350+ applicants worldwide, I WAS CHOSEN. Being one of the two Filipinas and the only one from the Philippines, it was really crazy. I only tried and applied for the GCF only because I found it interesting but never have I thought I would be given this opportunity, 

an opportunity that changed the course of my life. Up to this day, I couldn't bring myself to believe that........... after all those rejections, here I am.


I realized that all those rejections were preparing me for something this big. To go on exchange and make an impact on the people you meet along the way. If I ran for EB in PIIE NSC, I would have never gone outside the country, I would have be limited. If I went to NYC, I would have wrote about life of the rich and famous (which to be honest, I don't want to write about anymore - or at least about lifestyle people cannot actually achieve - yep, I'm so close to changing the course of my blog as well. As I finish the pending posts from my sponsors, my blog might be retiring its lifestyle career and will be delving more into traveling and volunteering. Of course, I still might be blogging about the things I like every once in a while but not as often as now). I would have never discovered my love for volunteering and the SDGs. If I started writing for Candy, I would never be writing this, I would never be writing about my experience - the whole, really making an impact, cultural understanding and really loving without barriers kind-of-thing (because I miss my Greek babies!) 

Love the rejections

That's what I learned in 3 years time.......... for every rejection, you are being prepared for something greater, something greater than what you thought you needed/wanted and something greater than yourself. And believe in God's perfect timing. Rejections allow you to grow and become able to to do things He has in store for you. Hold on to that.

And iff you're facing a difficult time right now whether you've been rejected or not, my dear friend, hold on - the struggle will be worth it. I still get rejected ever so often today but what keeps me afloat is the exchange that changed the course of my life. I even get excited every time I get rejected because I know (and kinda expect LOL) that great things will follow. It is a matter of perspective. Every time you get rejected, say this - rejection is good for my soul and it will be. 

You May Also Like

11 NOTES

  1. Wow! What a huge opportunity it is to be chosen as a Global Citizen Fund volunteer and be sent to another country to take on the role. Your post reminded me that there's always time for everything. Indeed, good things come to those who wait. I joined AIESEC too when I was in college. Keep on keeping on and always choose to remain positive whatever the hurdles you will face in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh so that's why you're in Greece. The saying is quite right, when one door closes, another one opens. Except for the summit interview, I don't really see the rest as rejections, more like opportunities you had to let go. You weren't rejected to run and NYC didn't bail out on you, you chose not to pursue both. But heyy it all led to where you are today so congrats for being chosen to go on exchange! DevCom is fun, I wish I had chosen either DevCom or Com arts when I was in LB para mas masaya, but I couldn't even shift because BS ChE is killing my grades, so eventually I kicked myself out and transferred out of LB lol. But looking back on my LB failures, I could only be grateful cos I'm happy where I am today! :D

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the saying goes.. "everything happens for a reason!" This is a living proof that rejections are just preparing you for something bigger and better. Sometimes, it feels like our dream is in front of us but the timing isn't right.. all the heartaches in the end really paid off.. I'm so happy that you experienced that once in a life time opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything happens for a reason. Every single heartache that we have had, every backstab, every rejection, it is all to prepare us for something bigger. I have had my fair share of things and I have learned to look at the brighter side of things. Go forward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations for being chosen. For sure, in all those rejections you experienced, the universe turned itself in your favor for your Greece adventure. Surely, God moves and works in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an honour to be the only person from the Philippines to go on that exchange! Rejection definitely makes people stronger and work harder towards their goals. I wouldn't even necessarily call your experiences 'rejection' as it often seems to be a case of bad timing! I hope you continue to do great things :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story. I always believe in that saying. That for every rejection, you are being directed into a different situation. Or a better direction. Our ways and plans may be good but God's plan is always better and He knows what's best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! This is so amazing. Greece is so beautiful and plus you get to do some good deeds! Definitely a win-win situation. Make the most of your time there :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! I'm very happy for you, despite all those thi gs you stayed positive. I also believe that when a door closes a window opens. Things may look very enticing in the beginning and we want to grab those opportunities but something greater is meant for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe rejection made us better person. It honed us to be stronger, bolder and be better better of ourselves. Rejections are good for the soul because it has helped us to keep going and figthing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!

    It really looks like everything about this blog (and your focus) has change. I'm happy for you, finding purpose and happiness on what we do and talk about is defines our contribution in this world.

    Looking forward as you share your new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete