2016: HOW EVERYTHING CAN CHANGE IN A YEAR

by - 10:26:00 PM

I can't recall being this emotional every time I write a year-end post, but it's probably because 2016 was a real rollercoaster for me and for everyone else. I like looking back because it makes me realize how bad and good and how everything can change in just a year.

Entering 2016,  I was young and naive. To be honest, I always felt I was. I didn't know much about the world and the world probably didn't know much about me. However, I was determined to make my mark and as the year comes to a close, I hope I did - even in the littlest of things. To sum it up, here's a few things I did this year: 


  • Travelled to Quezon with my friends. This has been the farthest place I commuted too. It's pretty amazing where good friends could bring you. We also stayed for less than 24 hours place and it kinda gave me the whole - YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE feels as we tried to do so much in a few hours. I hardly see these two girls and I miss them both!
  • I turned 21 years old! I'm old na huhu. Kidding aside, this birthday was special cause despite me shifting (HAHAHAH I WAS CAUSE I WAS A SHIFTEE AND DIDN'T HAVE MUCH FRIENDS ANYMORE) and the busyness, I'm still blessed to have this great support system. :)
  • I feel like I'm such a late bloomer when it comes to college parties but this was definitely a year of parties. I used to not like parties cause I always thought I couldn't balance it with my acads but I realize that as long as you're with the RIGHT people, IT IS SO MUCH FUN! Of course, the lola in me still reminds thyself to party responsibly and go to class despite the hangovers. If I'll party again in 2017, that depends on my friends.  
  • This was also the year I discovered my real devcom friends! Back in Engineering, you could survive the whole semester not knowing who you classmates are. Yep, you could go on not talking to them the whole semester. You'll see them next semester and still not know each other.  That's why organizations are really popular - cause you're looking for a group to be with. In Devcom, kada break, people were standing, talking, taking selfies and sometimes hugging each other..... talk about culture shock. I felt my soul was so drained in Engineering that I was one of those "dead kids" in DevCom. To be fair, people in DevCom ARE SOOOOOO FRIENDLY AND SO SWEET. They'll talk to you no matter what. I remember when they first saw me, they were all asking if I was their blocmate or what block was I from........ or why did they see me just now? It was funny. Eventually things fell all in place - I have really nice friends and my grades were soaring (compared to engineering LOL) but most of all, I was happy and passionate about it all. 
  • Jan and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary together. He also surprised me after 1000 days of being together. What I've learned in all our three years together is that communication goes a long way. Problems will always arise but it is patience and understanding that can only over come it all. Other than that, it's good to have a little or A LOT of humor in the relationship. It's all happy :)
  • I WENT ON EXCHANGE!! Ahhhhh. This has been the turning point of my life this year. To be able to travel ALONE (for the first time - yep, I was a cry baby about it) and staying in Greece for more than a month to volunteer - it was the most beautiful experience ever. I miss the playful Greek babies who talk to me in Greek despite me telling them I don't understand, I miss my co-interns whom I go out and around Greece for our mini adventures. I miss the Greek teachers who have been patient with me, always trying to teach me Greek words so I can understand the kids. I miss my EP buddy, Margaret and her dog, Avra. I miss the Greeks and their hospitality. I miss the airport and being alone (it was fun too!). I miss walking around the streets of Athens as a full-blown morena and a proud Filipina. I miss my Greek tan. Needless to say, going on exchange has ruined my life forever. I will always long for the feeling of going on an AIESEC exchange and it's okay. I'll be back someday. I promise. (Also really thankful to my family who was been supportive, AIESEC International, AIESEC UPLB and PwC for the opportunity.) 
  • A lot of blogging opportunities came this year. Compared to last year, I may have written less but my stats have taken a new high, which I'm really thankful for. Everything is still a learning process and even if I thought of giving up blogging (for many reasons - I promise to explain next time), I'm still here, writing. This year I was able to collaborate with a lot of brands - especially brands I super love and always looked up to. Other than that, my blog made its first $300 commission. 3 years ago, I would have never seen myself monetizing my blog. It's been amazing.
  • A solid college family. I never found myself close to people from any organization. My AIESEC family is different. After being elected VP for Business Development, I was still so scared. The department was new and their was no basis to how everything was going to happen and how everything was going to be done. I was also scared to lead a "department" cause I didn't know how. The only team I ever lead was of two people, which made it easy for me to manage. Everything changed this year, as I learned how to live and lead the AIESEC way. I think what makes AIESEC very different from others is the culture - something only AIESECers themselves can attest to. And get this, I had a dream between choosing to become a VS Angel or an AIESECer and I chose AIESEC. Funny how life turns out. I'm really thankful to everyone in the Executive Board: Madam Kate, our P, who has believed in me from the start; Cara, sweetest fellow mumshie and fellow charter whom I thought I'd never be close with;  Alexis, also fellow mumshie, a crazy one. She says she likes everyone to fight but deep down inside she's clingy too; Mau, one of the titas of AIESEC UPLB, someone who I know will always take care of me even when I go down cause of drinks. HUHU labyu Mau; Ria, always the resident blondie and ball of sunshine and Cons, our favorite and sweetest (only) baby boy. HAHA. Really thankful for this fam whom I know no matter what we've been through, kahit mag-iyakan pa kami nun, we're strong because of each other. My Business Development fam, the original team, DJ and River, I love you both. HUHU no words for both of you but thank you for making me so happy and the rest of the mems, SJ, Hazel, Alexis, Tisha, Yanni, Nikka, Sly, Rafter, Denise, Joanna and Lady - you have no idea but you all make me so proud. Thanks for always sticking around. 
  • And to the support system that remains no matter what year: my family. I dont think I have to enumerate everything my family and I has been through but one thing I know for sure is that we'll always be there for each other. Everyone's growing. Trina and I in college, Pam working, Jojo and Lia slowly getting their way to become teenagers (NO HUHU). Parents getting old but I'm happy and I hope we get to travel in the future again someday (cause everyone's busy). As I work on getting my degree, this is for my family. 

People say 2016 was a really bad year.......... Okay, I kinda agree. It wasn't the best but there's so much more to be thankful for. 2016 was cruel but it was also kind. And for all the bad times, put this in your head - WE CAN DO BETTER. Believe me, I don't go walking pretending like nothing has ever happened (cause I always remain to look at the positive times - it helps). We have to learn from whatever has happened. 

Save our planet. Be kind to everyone - no matter the class, color, size, shape. Beauty comes in all forms. Love your own Morena skin. Be self-aware and be aware of what is happening in the world. Sympathize. Give a little more. Listen to the elderly. Pray for others. There's so much more we can do, if the only question now is when then say hello 2017!


Happy New Year, everyone! 

You May Also Like

11 NOTES

  1. The end of the year is always a good time to reflect. Certainly, you have had a good year to look back to, and that is good. It's not about ignoring the not so good experience that came too, but more on learning lessons from the bad and adapting. And the good? Build up on it so that you will have a better year this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about everyone else but 2016 is a good year for me; well at least the good outweighed the bad at least as far as I'm concerned. I think you've done a lot in a year and congratulations for any achievements that you had be it big or small, especially when it comes to your blog.

    P.S. you're only 21, you are definitely not old! Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just 21 and you feel old, I turned 28 last December 28 and I feel really old too! haha. My friends who are in their 30s say I'm still young, so I will say this to you too, you're still young and I bet there are so many wonderful things in store for you this year! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems you had an amazing year! How long have you been blogging? You achieved so many things in just 12 months! Where have you been staying here in Greece? Did you visit some monumemnts here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing is good or bad. We just need to take the right lessons from what we experienced and move on.
    I know an organisation that hosts students that come to Delhi on exchange programs. Let me know if you are planning to come to Delhi on an exchange/ as a volunteer..I will be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to see some similarities! I also went on an AIESEC exchange, and it really has been life changing for me. I think it's what inspired me to be a travel blogger, primarily because I did my first solo trips and Couchsurfing abroad! So happy to see that 2016 has been a very good year for you! Here's to more blessings in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had an amazing year! Congratulations on that!
    What exactly did you do in Greece? How did you volunteer?
    I always wanted to volunteer, but haven't done yet!
    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a rough 2016 too, but it sounds like you had some major highs! Congratulations on making money with your blog. That is an amazing accomplishment especially at just 21! I hope this year bring even more amazing moments to you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. As the new year arrives, it's always a great opportunity to look back on how the previous year went. Congrats on the collaborations you gained through your blog! It always takes a lot of pushing and creating in order to achieve our goals. Cheers to 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo to you on your 2016 achievement! Moreover you able to earn sum from your blogging! I wish I can do that too! Do share tips & guidance ya as am a newbie to blogging :) wish we will have a fabulous 2017! ;) cheers, SiennyLovesDrawing

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. an exchange! would love to experience that. or just traveling alone maybe. every year is a year we will learn lessons. i am happy about your achievements, your anniversary and parties. so much fun. hahaha. it's been a long time since i have read your blog (since i have stopped blgogging for some time). nice to read some of your new entries!

    ReplyDelete