Blog Mail: How to start a blog

by - 10:09:00 PM

I know I haven't been very active on my blog since school started but I was reading my email when I found this letter from a reader. Often times people tell me (usually on Facebook and Twitter) that they appreciate this blog but never did anyone really go to the extent of emailing me. Thus, I got all happy and excited. The email reads:


To Yanna, thanks for taking the time to read and browse around this little ol' blog. Thank you for emailing me and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person. :) This post is for you!


So today, you can guess that I'm going to answer those questions. *Tadaaaa* Starting with:

WHAT INSPIRES ME TO BLOG

To be honest, I don't know what inspires me to blog. I've been blogging on Tumblr since 2009 (if you consider writing personal notes and posting reblogs as "blogging") and the highest number of followers I ever had was about 528. I'm still proud of it though - because somewhere in the universe, someone has read to my ramblings and misadventures and "liked" it (or so I assume). I guess it's the readers..... that feeling of helping someone through a post or actually having someone lurk around your blog in a non stalker-ish way. 

I also like to write. I'm the type of person who can't contain her feelings (lol what) so I thought owning a blog was the perfect platform to let it out. The goal to become a better writer as well as help people (as an influencer) inspires me to blog.

And for major inspiration, I have favorite bloggers like Kryz Uy, Camille Co, Laureen Uy and David Guison. (Photos from their website) 

HOW TO START A BLOG

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert on blogging but here's what I know about how to start a blog in three points: 

  • FIND A NICHE. I never found my niche mine until the middle of my first year blogging here. You could try everything and check out which works best for you. But if you want to stay in one specific niche before you start your blog, think about something you're really good at, something you can critique and something you can go talking about all day. Be yourself and that will be your niche. 
  • RESOLVE TO WRITE. People say blogging is a lot of work......... not for some people. Why? Because they have resolved to write. If you're serious about building your blog, you have to write, write and write! Ewwww, I know that was so cliche of me but it's true. Besides that you practice your writing over time (and it helps you get better), you are producing content for your blog, which is really hard for some bloggers. Don't leave your blog hanging. Update it! (And this is coming from me?? HAHA) 
  • SHARE YOUR WORK. I know at first people will judge you (like why are you blogging?!) but don't worry, not everyone will be like that. You'll have supporters and soon readers. Share your blog and share your writing. Make people find their way through your blog. Write helpful posts and share it, you never know who might just need it.
  • BONUS: ENJOY. Blogging should never be much work. To be honest, people / "bloggers" who keep complaining about how blogging takes their whole day / time or is so much work annoys me. I mean, why are you blogging in the first place then?! If you work on collabs, there will be deadlines but you don't have to complain about it. (LOL not throwing shade at anyone but I've seen people like that before and it hurts / annoys me). Blogging should be fun - it, after all, is your own space, your own little corner of thoughts. 
Basically, that's all I could think of right now. If you're a newbie (I'm still a newbie lol), don't give up! Enjoy and just keep writing. :) To Yanna, thank you again for the email - I hope I answered your questions. Lol

To everyone else, how's your blog doing? Do you have any tips in starting a blog? Let me hear them! ;)

You May Also Like

33 NOTES

  1. It so easy to start a blog but maintaining your blog is not easy so I'm glad because after 5 years I still blog. Though I don't have lot of followers but I still blog because I want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I forgot to write that one down. Haha! It's harder to maintain it. And same here. I just blog because I want to :)

      Delete
  2. I've been blogging on and off for a long time. It's one of the things I can't let go. I keep a personal blog though, I don't think I can ever pull off a fashion blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Same. It gets harder to maintain but it's something you just can't seem to let go (and we shouldnt!) :)

      Delete
  3. I blog because I have so many stories to tell! I also have a lot of photos (with stories) to share. I love to document things and my niece calls me a chronicler. I just realized I have been blogging for 5 years... And niches have changed since! I sometimes don't have the time because of the many things I do each day and I wish I could stop and write about each of these activities! I blog because I enjoy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet! Haha! As long as someone appreciates you, nakakatuwa dibaaa :) And yes! I know the feeling. Sometimes you do something, go out and you could go thinking "I can blog this" but don't end up writing kasi walang time. Haha!

      Delete
  4. SHARE YOUR WORK. I know at first people will judge you (like why are you blogging?!) but don't worry, not everyone will be like that. You'll have supporters and soon readers. Share your blog and share your writing. Make people find their way through your blog. Write helpful posts and share it, you never know who might just need it. <- this huhuhu, Thank you ate meli! Nakakainspire ka kaya, I have a question.... are there really no , basics in blogging? I can simply say whatever's on my mind and then call it a blogpost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Deanne!! <3 And yes! Wala talagang basics. It's your personal space kasi so you're free to write whatever you want. Be wary lang dapat responsible paren tayo sa pagsasalita :)

      Delete
  5. I agree, blogging is supposed to be fun, why complain. Blogging is an avenue for me to improve how I write, and overtime I think I did improve, slight. hehehe keep on blogging girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Awww, glad to know. I hope I find improvement for myself too. Thank you po <3

      Delete
  6. Blogging is about sharing. It shouldn't be a chore or the real reason for having one will be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! If only some people realize this. I'm so tired of seeing people calling him/her-self a blogger then complain about blogging :(

      Delete
  7. Completely agree with Michi! Maintaining a blog is the most challenging! Wow, I don't even know if I have a reader on my blog, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Diba :( Anyways, I'm sure you do naman po <3

      Delete
  8. It is never easy maintaining a blog. It takes passion and discipline. Great tips that you have there- Dominique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharing my recipe adventures, product reviews, new ideas is fun and that is why I love to blog. Its perfect way to improve my writings, learn new things, and I think its so FUN. Keep on blogging and keep inspiring other people Sis.
    www.sweetcuisinera.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And those exactly are the right reasons <3 Thank you po and the same with you! :)

      Delete
  10. I'm now starting to ask myself why did I start blogging? Ahhaha. I've been blogging for more than a year but writing since I was in Elementary. Maybe because this is something in me that I can control. I love to write stories and I love to share it to atleast inform and inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat wow. You were blogging at a very young age. I'm happy for you. Continue to inform and inspire others! :)

      Delete
  11. I think Blogging is born out off passion -- passion to write and share what it is you're passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^That's a really and beautiful way to put it. Thank you po <3

      Delete
  12. I have been blogging for almost 5 years now. I have experienced some downtime too. But I just keep on finding inspirations and reasons to write. My tip is just write your thoughts with all your heart. It doesn't matter if you are not a good writer as long as you can express your self, that's it. And most especially, be true always and don't share all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thank you Mommy Maye for your tips. Will always keep them in mind. :)

      Delete
  13. Good tips! Mine would only be - Just write. and write from the heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! "Write from the heart" thanks Verabear! :)

      Delete
  14. Nice tips. Starting a blog is simple but there are times, na nawawalan ako ng topic to post. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! Eventually it happens and that's the real challenge :))

      Delete
  15. for me just love what you are doing :-) thanks for sharing your tips

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is sooo difficult to maintain a blog especially if you work full time. So I guess, you need to have the passion for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you don't work full time, it's hard. Hahaha! Yes I agree <3

      Delete
  17. these days, blogging is pretty much like entering Mapua Campus. Making a blog/starting out/acing the entrance exam is easy, but maintaining said blog or resolving to graduate in Mapua is a whole other matter. Pasensya na if I have hugot about this hahaha! But really, it's what I noticed. Unfortunately, I've found that my niche is really a mix of beauty, fashion, food and travel, hence my name became chic mix. :)

    ReplyDelete