Local Exchange Store opens in UPLB

by - 12:56:00 PM


Most blogging events I go to are Manila-based, so when my good friend Ella of Behind The Mask invited me to cover the opening of Local Exchange Store in UPLB, I immediately said yes! What's funny was - I had no idea what the event was about - I just walked right into it. Also, I had to borrow Jan's camera since I was unprepared (what kind of blogger does that??) Kidding aside, I immediately fell inlove with the Local Exchange Store and here's why:

STUDENT-FRIENDLY PRICES
Other than hand-crafted goods, the Local Exchange Store (LEX) sells affordable and nutritious rice meals - which is actually the heart of store! Dalcielo's owner Ma’am Marissa de Jesus shares that she noticed her employees would buy meals that were sure cheap but not nutritious - at least nutritious enough for lunch. She also noticed the same trend with students, to quote her "When you're saving, you want what's mura, diba? But are you getting enough nutrients from it?" She then partnered with Sir Glenn Baticados (Senior Adviser) and Tisha Ambal (CEO) of APEX The UPLB Business Network (and the whole organization too) and thus, the birth of Local Exchange Store.

Their rice meals start at PHP 45 to PHP 50. I tried out their Sinigang rice meal for dinner and it was surprisingly good! It reminded me of my mom's cooking. Needless to say, I will be back for more!

IT'S NOT THAT FAR
Okay, so I stress on the word "that" because it probably is far if you live near UP Gate but it is also near those living in dormitories (and isn't that majority? LOL). LEX is located near SEARCA and DALCIELO. It's a small quaint shop but it's easy to spot once you walk to the top. Looking for it shouldn't be a problem. Also, what's a little exercise to get there? :) The store is open from 9 am - 9 pm. If you're not up for rice meals, you could check out their local snacks and goods. Bring a friend with you too!

SUPPORT LOCAL
This last point is probably why I fell in love with this new concept store. It's the first store to support the locals - which I think we should all be doing. The store is open to students, employees and even locals of the community - basically it's for everyone. Anyone with a small business could join in. I was also told by Sir Glenn that you don't even need much to have your products up the store. It takes a small fee - just for maintenance - then the rest is yours. Sounds like a good deal, right?


You don't have to spend or go far to support the locals cause now we have the local exchange store! ;) 


LEX is located near SEARCA DORM and DALCIELO. It's open from 9 am - 9 pm, happily serving you with affordable nutritious meals and hand-crafted goods. (I forgot to mention - major plus for their friendly staff!)


Give them a follow on Facebook and IG and be sure to check them out! :)
What do you think about LEX? Yay or nay? Let me know in the comments below! 


♡ snapchat [@caramelyyyyy]

You May Also Like

33 NOTES

  1. Nice to know that there are still affordable meals for students. Nowadays, it is hard to see meals for P50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Even if I study in UPLB and it's more of a rural area, most meals aren't healthy and as nutritious as LEX's rice meals :)

      Delete
  2. I wish we have more events like that all over the country. I also love to support locally made products but sometimes they are a little expensive. Good to know that some aren't like that rice meal you bought.

    www.hintofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Sometimes local products are more pricy, but I guess it's because it was really made with hard work + most of them are really unique. It's always good to still support them though :) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Thats a great initiative! There are a lot of such events all over India as well. I personally love to support local products even if they are expensive. I work for not for profits who work for this cause so its close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great store! I love that they support the locals. I try to buy locally made goods when I travel. And I also love that they help people get affordable healthy meals. Excellent initiative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! They're the first in UPLB and it's really nice :)

      Delete
  5. I like the concept of allowing the 'locals' para magkaroon din sila ng chance din for a decent living diba. And then student friendly prices, that is good din. It's not only from business perspective pero para din the less fortunate ones can at times patronize rin.

    http://www.amazinglifedaily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! :) It's usually the locals and less fortunate who need our help and this is a good way to help them. Thanks for dropping by Sir Robert!

      Delete
  6. Totally love the concept. Big YAY! Patronising local products plus making some lives more sustainable is definitely a great mix of idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need more groups and initiatives like this. Happy to enjoy Sugbu Merkado here in Cebu City where food startups are able to roll out their tables for food lovers.

    Thanks for reaching out for these guys.. even you didn't know what you were jumping into at first. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome looking store! Their pricing is on point. I love that they support the local industry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! :) It's important that we support the locals!

      Delete
  9. Local Exchange Store is a great concept store as it helps the locals around. I think even budding entrepreneurs can take advantage from the LEX as they can test their products. I also like the fact that they provide nutritious home cooks for less. I hope we have this near my workplace. Cheers to the owner and to you for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! <3 Thank you for your kind words. The owners will be happy :)

      Delete
  10. I have been to UPLB once and we ate at Dalcielo. I have been to that area. It must be nice to visit this area again when I have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's cool. Hope you can drop by again someday <3

      Delete
  11. Good to know that a lot of support local groups/stores are opening in the Philippines. I myself have started venturing in this and I super love LOKAL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aside from being so affordable, what makes this LEX more interesting is their advocacy to help the locals to promote their products. I would love to visit this place someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I like the idea of fostering local, homegrown businesses that are pro-earth. There should be more initiatives like this! It's great to support local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love the store so much....... this is the first in LB and it's really great :)

      Delete
  14. I bet this can help more students in UPLB. Wow, when was the last time I bought a rice meal that costs Php 50? Very seldom nalang ang ganyang price, kaya go grab na students. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a nice opportunity for small business owners to get exposure. I love how affordable the prices are, very student-friendly! It's nice to see people come together to celebrate what the locals have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its perfect way to patronize local products,inexpensive, budget friendly meals and hand-crafted goods. Big PLUS for wonderful friendly service. Thanks for sharing this awesome blogpost. Love it!
    www.sweetcuisinera.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Local stores are perfect!!! Actually marami pa nga silang magagandang products sa ibang imported. Great post babee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Buti may P45-P50 meals pa hanggang ngayon. LEX is a good option for affordable meals for students. Of course, home prepared meals may still be cheaper, but some people can't wake up so early to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of local stores with student-friendly prices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I saw yarns and hook. Medyo pahinga kami sa crocheting. Time consuming kasi but whenever I saw yarns naku I still palpitate, hehe. Great to know there are local stores and I wish UPLB is just near our place.

    ReplyDelete