Touchdown Athens

by - 7:30:00 PM


Before I actually got to Athens, here's a bit of a backstory. 

June 18, 2016 ; 11:00pm

Having to travel alone would be my scariest yet bravest moment in my life.......... I still can't believe I did it. It was around 11pm of June 18 when my parents brought me to the airport. My flight for Abu Dhabi was at 1am (PH TIME) and I was so scared because this was my first time traveling alone. 

As I kissed and hugged my mom in the car, my dad brought me up to the door with my bags. After hugging my dad, I KNEW THAT THIS WAS IT. I wasn't going to see my parents, family, Waffle (my favorite dog) and my friends for the next 5 weeks...... and I was going to be on my own (LIKE FOR REAL HUHU). Then you can guess that

I started crying..... I was so scared and I was shaking the whole time.

And that was probably why the airport staff was so nice to me guiding me every step of the way - I knew it - I totally looked like one of those lost children you see crying in the supermarket. Thankfully, the people around me were so nice. I got pass immigration and the officer was even kind enough to wish me luck as I do volunteer work for the next weeks. I'm happy she was also interested in the idea of it and she was joking that she wanted to do the same too. Another kuya who was in charge of the scanning the bags asked me where I was going and well, when I said I was going to Greece, he wished me a safe trip and even called me a goddess (cause Greece.... but yeah kuya, I know LOL)

People were so nice........ and I felt really safe. I got to the waiting area two hours before my flight but it was okay. I got to rest and still talk to my family. I also made friends with a Tita who was working in Abu Dhabi and we exchanged stories for the rest of the waiting time.

As soon as we boarded the plane, I was still shaking..... I was really scared, okay. The flight to Abu Dhabi lasted for 9 hours.



June 18, 2016 ; 7:00am (ABU DHABI)

We arrived around 7am and with only one hour to spare before my next flight, I went straight to the waiting area cause let me tell you............ THEIR AIPORT IS SO BIG AND BEAUTIFUL! (Airport goalz - even as I was flying back, I just wanted to stay forever LOL) + my flight was at gate 55, which was really far.

As we were walking, I made friends with a Filipina, I can only remember her first name Ate Joy and she walked with me to the waiting area since she was working somewhere in Abu Dhabi. Again, people are so nice and I obviously had no chill HAHA. Ate Joy and I talked about her work in Abu Dhabi, how she visited her family in the PH and how I was ALONE (see! she noticed) going to a foreign land cause she was really scared for me. I told her I was going to Greece to do volunteer work and it had to be done alone so she called me a brave little girl HUHUH.

As I sat down in the waiting area, I felt so nervous. It was another 5-hour flight before I finally reached Greece. I was so nervous..... all I could think of was "what do the Greeks really look like?" or "what was I going to tell them or what we going to talk about?" - I was afraid they might not like me and all that - but let's save that for another time!

From boarding with many Filipinos to Abu Dhabi, I was the only Filipina boarding to Athens.

June 18, 2016 ; 12:00nn (ATHENS)

Touchdown Athens!

That 14 hour flight killed me - even with the 9 - hour, 5 - hour interval - it was almost 14 hours straight. What killed me more was finally arriving and learning that my other luggage got lost. At first, I didn't know it was lost until I kept waiting for my bags to show up in the conveyor belt. I did panic because my name was being announced in their PA (public announcement) system and guys, it was either in Greek or had a strong Greek accent I couldn't yet understand (hay sorry)................ first time to fly alone and I lose my luggage.

I got out the airport after more than an hour of filing this form that stated that I knew my luggage has been lost. I got compensation for it though - 38EUROS. I was looking for my buddy but since I wasn't connected to the internet, I also didn't know someone else was picking me up.

Thankfully, she spotted me right away (Giota - thank you!) and we were off to the apartment. I got back in the apartment and my parents and friends were all panicking waiting for news if I finally arrived. I couldn't connect to Abu Dhabi's airport wifi and the one in Athens so imagine their panic. LOL but all is good.

We finally got to the apartment and my housemates were out except for Bhanu, who showed me around the market (cause I had to buy a towel cause missing luggage).

I also took the liberty to explore the area. Here are more snaps of the place:


Here's the living room where we usually hang, eat and have food together. I already miss this place. To be honest, I only took pictures cause everything was sooooooo *sparkly* clean. The white and beige walls gave off such a minimalist vibe. ALSO FRIENDS, THERE WERE NO FLIES NOR COCKCROACHES (HAHAHAH I knew I was safe). Their trash even smells good.

They also had no locks........... the thing with a door and lock was our apartment's door. All the rooms had no doors except for the bathroom (and it wasn't even a door it was more of a slide-y thing) and the master's bedroom where my roommate and I were staying (#blessedwithadoor).

My first meal was a chicken gyro. I remember walking into this cutesy cafe and asking for rice. That's when I learned that the Greeks did not speak English as much as they didn't eat rice too. (HAY, TIP: If you're going on exchange, do some research! Don't be like me HAHA)

The Greeks also had really good coffee - the best in the world, I would say. They also eat everything with blocks of feta which wasn't so bad. The picture on the right also shows my favorite juice I would always buy from the supermarket. Even without the rice, I knew I was going to love Greek / Mediterranean food (AND I STILL CRAVE FOR SOUVLAKIS, BAKLAVAS AND MOUSSAKAS TO THIS DAY!)


Another major realization: I have never eaten out alone until that day. I'm glad I did though. During the whole exchange, there were days when I would go to a cafe shop and sip on coffee alone while there were days when I would walk up to fancy restaurants and enjoy a 12EURO meal on my own. Being alone also has it perks. Greece, overall, is pretty safe. I would walk by myself, getting lost in the streets sipping and sliding (yes, of course nadapa ako some point during my exchange huhu) and just enjoying the view.

People were also so nice.... they would start conversations asking where I'm from and usually about my skin color (again, I'll save this for the next posts). And now that you get a gist of the place I stayed, the food, culture oh and the temperature (IT WAS HOTTER THAN THE PH), I'll see you on my next post - meet the roomates! ;) Till next time!

You May Also Like

23 NOTES

  1. Scream, this must be one of your best travel experienced in the rest of your life. I couldn't imagine myself taking 9 hours flight going to Abu Dhabi and another 5 hour flight going to Greece. It must be an exhausting travel, only worth it as you arrived in Athens. Reading your blog post is like I'm traveling with you. Really well written and interesting travel experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tiring but for a first timer, it was also exciting and nerve wracking. Thanks for that. The idea is to bring you and everyone else reading with me. :) Cheers!

      Delete
  2. So brave of you to travel in a foreign land. And that place doesnt have english as its national language so communication may be a struggle too. Cant wait to meet the room mates. And i find it weird living in a house without a door but perhaps I will be used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It felt really sketchy and weird at first, but I guess that's the thing about Greece.... the place is very safe that you wouldn't need doors nor locks. Thank you and see you on the next post! :-)

      Delete
  3. So lucky! I can't wait for the post about the volunteering or have you posted it already? I admire you for your courage and bravery for traveling overseas alone. I would freak out living in a place without doors. I'm an extrovert but when I'm alone, I'm an introvert who loves her privacy wherever she may be. Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on my volunteering post - it really is hard to contain all these feelings because everything is so new and of course, dear to me. Anyways, thank you so much!! <3

      Delete
  4. You must've been so brave! Travelling alone is not easy. I never experienced that, not even once in my entire life. I am scared but sometimes i still do wonder if i can try it even once.. its still a different feeling and an experience of a lifetime to travel alone.. thank heavens everyone is nice! You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mommy Queenelizabeth!! :) I never thought I would have to experience it either but it gives a new light to the whole sense of being independent and brave. I did feel homesick and missed my parents and family the first week until I got used to it. Haha!

      Delete
  5. That was so brave of you travelling alone at a young age. People should consider that too. I remember travelling alone from Pampanga to Manila as early as 12 years old. It was a fulfillment for me then. Goodluck on your Athens experience. I remember I have a relative there but lost connection with them somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! It was really fulfilling. You have so many new stories to tell when you get back home and it's great. I really enjoyed it. I hope a lot of people do the same :)

      Delete
  6. It's hard living alone without your family in the same roof where you stay - let alone that it's in a foreign country pa! You're so brave girl! I'm actually wondering what is the volunteering thing you do that sent you to Athens, Greece. Have you written about it in the past? It must be an exciting adventure. Good to know you have roommates because the place you'll be staying seem to be big for a single person. Enjoy your Athens adventure! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Well, I volunteered through my school's organization, AIESEC IN UPLB. You can check them out or check AIESEC, they send volunteers and interns all over 126 countries. I love that such program exists and it's not your usual academic program but more of a volunteer work :) Will also write about it soon. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. This is one of my bucket-goals (to travel alone abroad)! I can only imagine how hard it was to board that connecting flight, having said your goodbyes to your family. I don't think I'd have enough strength to do that in front of them, but I know I'd be crying helplessly on the plane. Your purpose for visiting is very, very noble though. :) Read the prologue. I imagine the place is just amazing! Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! Huhu :) It was really scary and hard to leave my family but I had to brave it and I saw a different perspective of things after volunteering. Really just thankful.

      Delete
  8. Greece , what a great country ! Buuuut , LOL , I have to disagree on the coffee ... it is by far not the best coffee in the world ,but that is a question of personal taste of course. Athens is such a great place to see so many different facettes of the country. The history , the modern times , you'll find it all in one country. Just such a shame that the economy in Greece is so awfully poor these days. I must admit , I admire your braveness for travelling alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Well, probably for me. Greek coffee and Turkish coffee taste alike. Anyways, thank you! :) Also, as I was there the Greeks told me their economy is getting better and I have big hopes for them!

      Delete
  9. You are so brave! This will definitely be an experience you won't ever forget! And to lose your luggage on this trip? Seriously? I was quite surprised about that. I have traveled since I was young and I never lost my luggage before. @@

    The food looks delicious and the apartment is chic! Seems like a totally awesome place. Would like to visit Athens someday. I can go backpacking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Really? Although I forgot to mention that I did lose my luggage when I landed but thankfully, they found it and delivered it to me at the apartment two days after :) It's all good now! Haha

      YES! You really should. Let me know how that goes <3

      Delete
  10. You are so brave to go to Athens by yourself! This will definitely a very memorable experience for you, especially since you even lost your luggage. I was quite surprised about that. I have traveled since I was young and I haven't experience losing my luggage before. @@

    The food and the place looks amazing! I love the apartment. It looks chic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous... I like how brave you are, reminds me of myself when I was younger.. I have never been to Greece, let alone Athens even though it is on my bucket list... hope to be able to do so one fine day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :) I couldn't have done it without the support of my parents and people around me. I hope you do, the place is really beautiful <3

      Delete
  12. What can I say more?
    Love this country and been a regular bucket list destination I have.
    I happy that you are able to safely arrive there mate.
    Wishing you the best stay there. Enjoy your Greek adventure!


    cheers! www.masterryo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth the travel. Thanks Master Ryo! ;)

      Delete