Lessons from my Magazine-Writer-Interview

by - 11:32:00 PM


Holaaaa! I can’t believe it’s been more than a month since I updated this blog again. With acads and org duties, I’ve been trying to squeeze in some social life in between and everything’s CRAZY (but in a good way) and while I compose myself for probably another “life lately” post, here’s something I’ve been working on from last month’s drafts. 

I can remember I always wanted to work for a magazine since Devil Wears Prada and Confessions of A Shopaholic days. Working for a fashion / style magazine is one of my life pegs (or 'hashtaggoals' as you would call it). I finally thought my dreams would come true (HAHAHA JK) last month cause I was called for an interview for some magazine. Let’s use “some magazine” for reasons that I don't want to name the magazine. 

HMMMM SO DID I WORK FOR THAT SOME MAGAZINE

NO.

WHY?

It wasn’t meant for me…. HAHA JUST KIDDING. But in all seriousness, it was a clash in schedule.  Being a student, I can’t report to the office daily. This some magazine had meetings on weekdays usually at 6pm and my classes ended at 5:30pm. Their office was far and along EDSA *ohhh more clues HAHA* and to say the least, going there would be a nightmare. So again, maybe it isn’t for me.

However, I’m not walking away empty-handed. I learned a few things along the whole process. And if you ask me, I’m not even sad about it…. I still get *kilig* every time I remember I was called for an interview. So I won’t make this long but here’s the 7 things I learned from WANTING TO WORK FOR A MAGAZINE: 

YOU HAVE TO LOVE POP CULTURE
Unless you’re working for a scientific-ish magazine, every magazine is into pop culture. Before my interview, there was a writing exam…. which I was so unprepared for. I panicked by the list of topics presented. They were purely pop culture. PURELY. And I guess that was my biggest mistake, I wasn’t so updated as I used to be. I’m not a fan of watching TV but I do watch anything that piques my interest. However, if you want to be a writer of a *mainstream* magazine, then you have to updated. (For reasons that people will bite into anything NEW, POPULAR AND INTERESTING I guess)

...AND STILL BE YOURSELF
Editors are looking for unique individuals. You probably want to fit in and be liked so you chose to blend in by dropping names and topics of things you’d think is popular leaving out your “real personality”. Truth is, stay the same! Editors usually look for people who love pop culture (sure) but still has personality. It’s your personality that’s gonna bring “IT” and something new to the table. Who wouldn’t want a table of writers with a wide range of topics? The magazine will never run out of issues, in paper terms that is.  

KNOW THY MAGAZINE
Unlike how we usually skip the “Terms and Conditions” of every manual we have ever read (don't tell me you're not guilty HAHA), you can’t just work for a magazine you do not know so well. Know thy founders, editors and magazine. Research on their goals, mission, vision and what they want. They love it when you really know them. Also, it helps you better adapt to their environment and to what they're looking for. 


READ, READ AND READ!
Read thy magazine. Read thy sister magazines and read other magazines. Become obsessed with magazine writing style as it’s different from blogging and writing for newspapers.

DON’T LET THE PRESSURE GET TO YOU
I know, I know. You really want this. Pressure is never a good thing unless you’re in an airplane where you kinda need pressure to keep the plane flying but don’t EVER let the pressure eat you! Working for a magazine is business. It’s fast paced and you really have to sell out your ideas. Stay enthusiastic and work will follow.

KEEP IMPROVING
*Eeeeek* my IE roots are finally showing again. HAHA! As a former IE student, I learned that CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT is a must. After my interview, I realize that it applies to writing and experiences like these too. KEEP IMPROVING YOUR CRAFT (I also always tell myself). Just because we didn’t take the opportunity now doesn’t mean it is the end. More opportunities will come and you (and I both) will have them as long as we keep improving. 

LAUGH AT YOUR MISTAKES AND NEVER GIVE UP! ;) 

To end this post, I’m really happy even if I won’t be writing for that some magazine (FOR NOW *WINK WINK*). I went home with something more valuable. During the interview, there were also other girlies like me so you can guess I made friends with them. Although short-lived, it was fun. I also enjoyed because it was my first time in EDSA (thanks to the boyfie for going with me!) and it was such an adventure. 

Everything was such an beautiful E X P E R I E N C E. And I know someday, I'm gonna write for a magazine and it's going to look easy like in the movies.

To anyone who’d love to work for a mainstream magazine / working for a mainstream magazine, I’m not an expert but I hope you still find this helpful. :) For now, let’s leave it to this. *hearrrt* Melissa // snapchat me at [holacaramelyyy]


HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO WRITE FOR A MAGAZINE? WHAT HAVE YOU REALIZED OR LEARNED?



You May Also Like

45 NOTES

  1. Ohhh I read both books :D I really love writing (but I'm terrible at it!) and I always wished of working on any kind of job that writes. I also thought about applying for a magazine publisher or any publishing company but I can't really write well under pressure. Maybe that's why I'm blogging >_<

    http://ladyarizel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Hang in there Jessica! I only blog too and I've never really worked for a magazine publisher (yet) but we can do it. Let's keep improving. :) Thanks for dropping by too <3

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're amazing Melissa, when I was a student I never really knew what I wanted to do. It was just recently that I realized what I really want. It's good as well that you read and write. keep it up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JP! Although it's also a bit of a late realization too, it's important that we love what we do. Good luck to you as well! :)

      Delete
  3. I know someone who's writing for Thought Catalog and Candy Mag. I've tried submitting some of my articles to them but I believe I need to enhance my skills in writing even more. Everything happens for a reason talaga. I love your way of thinking that you didn't get sad, you even learned something pa nga. Keep that attitude and you'll go places. Cheers!

    Cess | http://cesspiano.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I hear Thought Catalog and Candy Mag really requires people into pop culture. Hehe. Hirap na maunahan sa topics eh but that's right. We should just keep improving and maybe someday we can write for them. :) Yes. Thanks Ate Cess! <3

      Delete
  4. Good points you mentioned, Mel! Working for a magazine came to my mind as well, although I'm not as certain as you :)) I'm kind of transitioning to a different field from what I'm used to and I love learning from it. I wish you the best in everything you're doing right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh hi Eva!! Thanks for dropping by. <3 And I think you can work for magazines, I've seen your blog and it's lovely huhu. Anyways, I wish you the best too and I hope to see you soon? :)

      Delete
  5. Nice post! Keep blogging, keep writing and be your own boss. I worked for a magazine in the past and it is not all glamour :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait. It's not all glamour?! :O Haha just kidding. I guess. It's pressure and a lot of work but it seems fun. Thank you for your kind words <3

      Delete
  6. To write for "some magazine" could be a bit of pressure but anyway, writing will always be fun. Nice pointers btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! Huhu but it's the dream so maybe someday. :) Thank youuuuu po <3

      Delete
  7. Regardless if you passed or failed a test or an interview, it's important to learn a few things out of the experience. Glad you learned a lot and who knows, maybe a better opportunity is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that Mai. Thank you! I'm holding on to that there is another opportunity waiting. :)

      Delete
  8. OMG! I love those movies. And you're write, while watching them, I can't help but think that someday, I'll be working for a magazine company too (but nope, didn't happen). Great tips, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows Ate April, we'll get them next time! :) Haha. Thank you po <3

      Delete
  9. LAUGH AT YOUR MISTAKES AND NEVER GIVE UP! ;) True! hahahah!
    We always learn from our mistakes. Writing is my weakness LOL! But practice makes us better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Practice always makes us better. We're on our way there. Thank you po <3

      Delete
  10. Though I did not dream to work in a magazine, I love those two movies too. I'm happy that I can write in my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too. We'll be writing in the blog for now :)

      Delete
  11. Before, it never came to my thought that I will have my own blog and write my thoughts. But it's happening now. I would like to write for a website but not really for a magazine. I feel that writing fro magazine has more pressure kasi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mommy Maye. I agree! Blogging is more personal and less pressuring :))

      Delete
  12. I am not a magazine person but I love to read :-) Blogging is unexpected but sharing some thoughts I cannot imagine that I was able to do a blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I used to blog just to let out some thoughts too :)

      Delete
  13. "LAUGH AT YOUR MISTAKES AND NEVER GIVE UP!" Oh yeah! Let's not take things too seriously. Mistake is not a bad thing as long as we learn from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Good attitude you got there by not being sad and you know what you really want in life. Until now, I still can't believe that I am into blogging and documenting photos and videos. Glad that Google helped me out too. Keep improving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Me too. I used to feel so shy when I started blogging and documenting stuff but I eventually got over it. :) Thank you po <3

      Delete
  15. Working for a magazine is one of my childhood dreams. My sister used to buy tons of Candy Magazines and I always end up imagining that I am part of the staff.

    http://wannderzel.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ate Hazel <3 Ohhh I want to work for Candy too. Hehe!

      Delete
  16. This is very informative. So how was the writing exam went? What did you wrote? I don't even know what pop culture is >_< Do you still want to write in a magazine or prefer to write in blog instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing exam was good (I THINK HAHA). Pop culture is anything mainstream and "popular" among teens and young adults. Hmmmmm I love blogging but I still like to write for a magazine. Maybe just for the experience :)

      Delete
  17. I have never dreamed of being a magazine writer, but most of the tips you shared apply whatever field you're in. Thanks for such a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an amazing post not just for magazine writers but for all aspiring writers out there. I noticed your sidebar. I swim competitively too haha. Nice blog you have here. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Lester | http://pinoytechscene.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And cool! What school did you swim for? Haha :)

      Delete
  19. Love all the information you've shared and I know you'll do good on being a magazine writer. Keep it up!
    www.sweetcuisinera.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Working in a magazine never landed in my thoughts even as a second career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was highly influenced by the movies. :))

      Delete
  21. At least you knew what you wanted to do and tried them out to see if it fits you. I wish I had the courage to do that back then. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find the job that fits you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Were you looking for a part-time job when you applied?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw too bad, if only you could skip the meetings and work remotely as a contributor, it would've been a great (albeit exhausting) experience! :D You can always apply again! :)

      Delete