RareJob TSA Tips

by - 11:44:00 AM

Hello everyone! I'm finally writing a post about tips on how to pass the Tutoring Skills Assessment for RareJob. I'm writing this because I usually receive emails asking for tips and there are times that I get so caught up with school that I wasn't able to email back those people (and I'm very sorry about that!). Other times, some of their emails go to my spam folder. If you do have questions, I suggest you leave me a comment saying that you emailed me or you can ask me directly here as I check my blog more often. And if you have no idea of what I'm talking about, feel free to read this first. 

Anyways, here is the list of tips I usually send the people who personally email me.  When I was applying for RareJob, I couldn't find any useful tips on the internet. Thus I came up with my own list. 


TIPS ON PASSING THE TSA
1. Strictly no dead air
My friend and I tried out for RareJob almost the same time but we didn't know it. He only told me after his TSA. Sadly, he did not make it. The main reason was because there was dead air during the whole lesson. If the student cannot understand or follow, ask him/her or give him/her clues. Be a little humorous (but in place) to avoid dear air. Also be prepared of what your student might say, be ready to catch his response and think ahead. 


2. Establish rapport
This is very important as another friend of mine told me that her TSA was going fine until her trainer told her she didn't make it because she wasn't able to establish rapport. Have a short introduction with your student. Be friendly and find something that you both have in common. You could say "that's nice" or "good to hear" or "nice to meet you" - and ask some follow up questions to encourage the student to speak more. Try becoming a friend to the student.

3. End the class on time
If the required time is 15 minutes, manage your time well without compromising any part of the lesson. Ending the class early is a big no-no.

4. Answer the questions to your best effort 
The student will definitely ask questions. Remember to follow the format on the material. Use the chat box efficiently. Chances are, the questions that will be asked will be easy ones. Trust me, when you're really start teaching, the questions get more complicated. Anyways, don't be afraid to use a dictionary or google when you do not know the answer. 

5. Remember to give praises and feedback
It is very important that you acknowledge the good things the student has done during the lesson. If he or she has good pronunciation, then compliment on that. If he answered in very well composed sentences, tell him or her. Just don't say "very good" or "good job". Let the student know what he or she is doing right. Also, don't be afraid in correcting the errors. The student is there to learn and he or she will really appreciate if you correct his or her mistakes - that way the student will know you are really listening to him/her. 

6. Smile, be cheerful and encourage the student during the lesson
Even as a university student, I myself wouldn't want to be in a class with a terror professor. Smile and be cheerful. You wouldn't want the lesson to be too heavy or hard on the student.

7. Practice will make perfect
Practice when you can! May it be on your mother, father or sibling - practice. It is very helpful to practice with another person so that you can gain confidence. I practiced on my siblings all the time until the day of the TSA. So when my turn came, I knew what to do. 

And that concludes my list, the best of luck to you! If you found these tips helpful or you have any questions, leave me a comment below! :) 



You May Also Like

23 NOTES