summer job

by - 2:52:00 AM



With 4 months of summer vacation, what else was one broke girl going to do? Of course, find a *summer* job. And that’s what she did.

So here is the story of how I got my summer job:

As soon as summer started, I too, started on my job hunt. I first applied in this donut company (I won’t be naming names so you could just have your guess). You see, my uncle is a very important person in their company but even he couldn’t get me in. I found out that the application period for the summer job was already closed and that the applicants have already started working. I was too late. I thought it was over until my uncle told me that their Human Resources Manager told him a slot just magically opened and that they could start accepting - I really believed that. After sending my resume, I never heard from them again. I applied next in this very popular media conglomerate -thanks to the help of another uncle. It could have worked except for the face that they didn't pay their interns. They pay their interns with experience and school credit. Too bad I didn’t even need the credit - yep, cross that one out of the list. I then tried freelancing but I didn’t have much experience and it was hard to get the customer’s attention. I also just didn’t understand the system of the website so I just decided to give up. I also tried applying in coffee shops... and I was turned down due to my lack of experience with food (sorry for being an engineering student). This probably lasted for a month…. and this was the reason I couldn’t go out that much.  I was broke - like I said earlier. My summer savings couldn’t last for four months.

Then one day, my boyfriend (he doesn't want to be called a "friend" on social media- so yes) and I were talking when he told me that I should try this job. He only told me a few details - that one must be fluent in English and be able to teach. When I got home, I opened my laptop right way and searched(googled) for it. I managed to find it. So I applied right away. I then searched tips on passing the process. I only found a few helpful tips but I was still as nervous. I just had to brave myself to thinking I can do this. The process went like this:

Initial requirements would be: Filipino, 18 y/o or above, proficient in English and can teach

1. ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST
I took the English proficiency test. I’ve seen many people say in forums and blogs that the exam was really hard. Good thing, I didn’t listen to them. I took the test and passed. I think the questions are really manageable and pretty basic and that anyone can do it :)

The next step was the tutoring skills assessment. But to take the TSA, I needed the following (hardware requirements):
  • laptop / desktop
  • headset with external microphone
  • stable internet connection
I had all except for the headset with external microphone, which my parents had to buy for me (thanks mum and dad mwa)

2. TUTORING SKILLS ASSESSMENT
This part of the process is more of the "make it or break it". If you do not pass the TSA, then you have to wait for another 6 months until you can try again. I was really nervous (and because I didn't know anybody who was doing anything like this - I later found out some of my friends actually did). But then, I had no one to ask advice from. Anyways, once I have chosen my schedule for the TSA - they sent me the material to be used. AND HERE'S A TIP, if you really want to pass the TSA (and I’m sure you do), ALWAYS GO OVER THE MATERIAL WHENEVER YOU CAN. Read it and be very familiar about it. Breath the material.. (Im just kidding but you get my point). So I reviewed it every time I could. I also practiced it on my little cute siblings. They would pretend to be my Japanese students and I would pretend to be their teacher. It all went well. 

The day of my TSA came. And like any other normal person, I was really nervous. I followed all instructions on the email they sent me. I went online in Skype earlier and waited. The TSA had three parts:
  • Test call - They will call you to see if you have the requirements to proceed to the main part of the TSA. I was really nervous and as I was talking to the person on other line, my voice was shaking - feeling like I could ruin my chances. I know, I was overdramatic. But hey, I was nervous. 
  • Demo lesson - So this was it…. I did everything - like how I practiced with my little brother and sister. I smiled and smiled and tried to be friendly and smiled. I answered questions with my best efforts. Once it was over, I thought I really failed miserably. I even messaged my boyfriend right at once telling him I don’t think I was going to make it. 
  • Feedback - I had to wait for a few minutes until my trainer called me back.. and when he did, it was the moment of truth…. he told me I PASSED. He mentioned a lot of good points that I even think I did. (or maybe it was because of my smile). I mean, so… I did well, after all. And so he told me I passed.. I just couldn’t believe it. I was so happy that I wanted to scream while I was talking to him. But of course, I was trying to be cool about it. 

After passing, I received another email from the companyI am finally a tutor. What an amazing feeling. I also couldn’t help but think that all those rejections meant that something greater was going to happen - and it did. It surely was a blessing. Other than that, I also taught myself to be brave. This really was something outside my comfort zone, I don't think I even saw myself doing this job - talking to Japanese and teaching them, but it happened and I am actually enjoying it.

I really love this job because it’s home-based. I don’t have to spend money on my lunch breaks and commuting going to the office. It also saves me a lot of time. You can also choose your schedule. You could choose how long you want to work and when. It really is convenient for me. 

And it’s been 4 weeks now since I started and I learned to really love the job more. I even invited a friend of mine who was curious about it. So I helped her, gave her tips and thankfully, she also got in. And now she tells me she enjoys very much. Honestly, it used to be about the money (that’s why I wanted a job in the first place) but now it’s about helping people. My Japanese students are really (and I mean really) kind. And I love talking to them. :)


And so if you want to join or you have any questions or you want to ask for tips in passing the TSA, feel free to leave a comment with your email address or email me directly at melissaungco@gmail.com :) I would be very glad to help you!


You May Also Like

19 NOTES

  1. You're so cute Meli!! Haha. Nice blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thank you anon. Haha. You're too kind :)

      Delete
  2. Didn't know you have a blog. Hiiiiiii :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ate Queenie! I'm just new here. Thank youuu :")

      Delete
  3. Wow, you're my savior!!! Thank you for sharing this girl. Haha. I really want to have a summer job for some reasons but unfortunately, I didn't know where to apply until I finished reading your post. So I applied and luckily, passed the first part and now my schedule for TSA is on Monday. I'm so so nervous. :( Any other tips? Huhu. Again, thank you so so much and congratulations!! God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Thank you for reading my post. I am glad that I was able to help you find a summer job. As for the tips, you could email me at melissaungco@gmail.com. I will be very happy to help you pass your TSA. God bless you as well! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this!! I know now where I can apply. I will email you in a while, please help me pass too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I will be happy to help. Please do email me! :)

      Delete
  5. can i try this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Please give me some tips on how to pass the TSA. I really am nervous that's why I still don't make a schedule for it. haha. Please help me I really want this job not just for money but also for my passion in teaching! Thank you :) marquezmicah01@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I thought when I first heard of this online job that it was impossible, but its real. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love RareJob! Thank you again Miss Melissa for helping me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa...thanks for sharing, loved it!��.. Tomorrow is my TSA, will appreciate some tips from you. . Tc��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ms. Myra! I know I'm 7 days late for a reply. I hope you did well and got in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete