PROLOGUE TO MY GREEK ADVENTURE

by - 11:46:00 PM


Today's August 12 and I'm more than determined (or at least I think I am) to finally moving this post out from the drafts section and publishing it. So today is September 2 and FINALLY, I'm publishing this post for real (huhu sorry, I know it's long overdue).



It's been a month since I got back from my exchange and every time I try to write about it, I often end up speechless because NO WORDS can surpass the beauty of the whole experience. Although what kind of person would I be if I didn't share it?? Kidding aside, I feel like this will need more than just one blog post so today, let's back track a little.

MARCH 2016

6 months ago, I was just a regular girl...... (WAIT OA HAHAHUHU but yes friends, it's THAT life changing) when my friends from AIESEC UPLB invited us, AIESECers to apply for the Global Citizen Fund. The Global Citizen Fund is a project by AIESEC International and PwC wherein they will give 10 young people from around the world the opportunity to volunteer abroad, develop a new community and help contribute to one of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.


I thought of applying because everyone else was applying.... it was interesting, yeah sure. Half way through the application though, I started to doubt myself. And to be quite honest, I almost did not send in my application (I still cry to this day thanking myself and that AIESEC culture wherein you just have to push yourself no matter what #cheesybuttrue). So I sent in my application with the "I'm just sending this cause I think it's cool but it doesn't matter if I don't get accepted" kinda- feels.

APRIL 2016

It was the first week of April when I got this email. I also received a rejection letter right after (I didn't know what to feel that time... like so was I accepted or not? HAHA) and I didn't see first email right away because there was a campus-wide blackout. We literally had no electricity for more than 12 hours (Hayyy LB life!)


You can guess then I was sobbing after I realized I had a chance but technically still didn't have a chance cause fate (and timing if you call it) didn't want me too. But again, there's this thing I learned in AIESEC wherein you just have to try.......... (and trust me friends, I don't know where this is coming from but thank you AIESEC UPLB huhu). I emailed Stephan explaining the whole blackout fiasco and slept over the whole thing cause I don't want to go crazy any much more. He replied the next day with the kindest message ever:

It was crazy cause now I was one of the 20+1 people (Yep, I'm the 21st huhu) who were going to be interviewed.......... I didn't even have to submit a video. I showed up for the interview and was there because I was just really thankful for being given another chance. I was happy and contented. Then that was it. I went on to doing other things. (Also, I felt like maybe they were just being nice to me because I asked)

MAY 2016

I got two new emails - one saying THAT I MADE IT THIS FAR TO THE TOP 14 and the other one saying I WAS CHOSEN AND I WAS GOING TO VOLUNTEER! Out of 350++ applicants worldwide, I was chosen to be part of the 10?? I COULDN'T STOP SHAKING THE WHOLE TIME (and up to this day, I still feel like crying.............. I don't know how I made it but it's all crazy and it's all been a real blessing)

Soon we were in constant communication with AIESEC International and PwC and they're really nice people (it was first time to talk to internationals of my age so it was pretty cool). My parents and I fixed my passport and visa (that's another story) but fast forward to:

JUNE 2016

I WAS FLYING ON MY OWN TO ATHENS.
Thus, the prologue to my Greek adventure.

MAJOR REALIZATION #1: 
If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place. (Yes, totally quoting Nora Roberts here but this has never been so relevant in my life until today)

AND MAJOR REALIZATION #2:
You cannot belittle yourself because if you do, you've already lost. Do not belittle yourself and cliche as it may seem, you have to believe in yourself. Just look at the people around you. My family, friends and AIESEC UPLB was and always will be my support system.

I leave this here for now - until the next chapter!

Special thanks to AIESEC International and PwC for funding my trip + AIESEC UPLB, my PARENTS and FAM for the endless support through out this journey. I am beyond grateful.


DISCLAIMER: The fund only covered my airfare. I would like to acknowledge the love and financial support of my parents too, who were ever so supportive since the beginning. 
Thank you Ma and Pa, I love you!

You May Also Like

12 NOTES

  1. WOW! Congratulations!!!!!! I am so gad you made it, and it is truly something you will forever treasure. I am more glad that you shared lessons you learned. We know nothing is going to happen until we make it happen. And often, it is the fear of failure that makes most of us stop. You did not, and look, congratulations!

    http://www.amazinglifedaily.com #AmazingLifeDaily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Very inspiring!! It's a once in a lifetime experience, and there you are, being part of the 10 people that made it. I hope you learned a lot from your experience in Athens and I hope you share to your fellow students what you learned. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience is such an inspiration to everyone! It gives another light to traveling and volunteering. Not only that you can travel and help others, you have also inspired the millennials to engage more in the real world than just thru their phones. If you have more posts about your adventure, I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is great. Congratulations! I hope you will enjoy Athens and learn a lot from it.I can't wait for that post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of realizations and that's how life should be. I adore that you took the first step to apply. That courage is already enough to change your views in life. Keep that personality going! I am sure you had a blast in Athens and can't wait to read the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am out of words! Congratulations! You are a really brave soul, I can't even travel alone in the metro, let alone to another country. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wow!!! Ang galing galing mo! Congratulations! This would really change your life. Don't stop believing and you can make kt! Share us your experience there. Looking forward to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, so happy you made it! Make the best of it, and enjoy Athens! Thanks for inspiring so many of us with your post, and you couldn't be more right: If we want something, we have to go and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh finally I know your story behind your Greek adventure!!! Congratulations Mel! YOU DESERVE IT!!!! :) <3 Lookind forward to more of your posts about your experience! Grabe I was smiling and very excited din while reading this post. Parang nanonood ng movie na naghihintay sa climax. Haha!

    xx, Wandering Ella

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few words for this post:
    First, I believe you are fated to be there by purpose even if you though you aren't.
    Second, you are an inspiring young lady to other teens in reaching their goals.
    Last, thank you for representing the Philippines in Greece. I believe you did a splendid job there. #LovePhilippines

    cheers! www.masterryo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing and very inspiring! You are so lucky! I would love to do it myself :)
    I would love to read about your experience in Athens. There is so much that we can learn from it. Looking forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a rollercoaster of feelings you went on! It sounds like a dream come true. I'm glad you applied! Congratulations on being accepted. I bet that was a huge relief from your shoulders. :)

    ReplyDelete